Monday, January 24, 2011

Soul Survivor


Like many Christians, Philip Yancey has often felt kicked around, abused, and damaged by the institutional church. And like many Christians, he has found solace in reading about and getting to know some extraordinary individual believers. He profiles 13 of those believers in Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church. "I became a writer, I now believe, to sort out words used and misused by the church of my youth." 

I bought this book while I was doing a study exchange in the states. Looking back, I am grateful for God's grace for the existence of such a book and for the writings of Philip Yancey. Amazon is a great resource if you're in America for books and I was goggling for something to lift me out of my extreme dissatisfaction with the institution of the church. It was in fact the push factor for my exchange. And reading the book was the beginning of a slow ascent back to having hope in God and thus in the church again.

No comments:

Post a Comment